Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Ugly Duck Is Starting To Smile

I would like to take a moment to talk about a few great bands that I feel are completely underrated (I could go on for hours about bands that I think are overrated but that will be another post). The first band I would like to talk about are the dB's. The more I listen to "Stands for Decibels," the more I fall in love with songs like "Bad Reputation," "Living a Lie," "The Fight," and "Neverland."I think some of these songs are perfect. It's really catchy music and it's a shame you hardly ever hear of this band. One of the founders Chris Stamey played with Alex Chilton and Television before forming this band. It makes me upset that REM get all the credit for this type of music. I will say that the first few REM albums are great but they should have broken up before they became the terrible mess they are today. If you like The dB's then also check out The Feelies(terrible band name) album "Crazy Rythms." This album took a while to grow on me but now I love it. Another great band that I think happens goes greatly unnoticed is Cockney Rebel, a fantastic glam rock group formed and fronted by Steve Harley. If you love Roxy Music, Sweet, Bowie, T Rex or Slade then you must listen to Cockney Rebel. I wold recommend their albums "Human Menagerie," "Psychomodo," and "The Best Years of Our Lives." Also I have been into another glam rock singer named Jobriath. He was the first openly gay singer in the 70's and unfortunately this was the death of his career. .He dropped out and became a cabaret singer sadly he died of AIDS in 1983. Morrissey reissued his 2 albums that were out of print.

The dB's


Cockney Rebel


Jobriath

No comments:

Post a Comment